Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marine wind farms
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Energy Group -> Generating EnergyMessage format

Anne Thomas
Posted 2010-11-08 15:04 (#429)
Subject: Marine wind farms

Extreme Veteran

See this link. Looks interesting.

http://concretemarinesolutions.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
David Franklin
Posted 2010-11-10 01:29 (#436 - in reply to #429)
Subject: Re: Marine wind farms

Regular

If it wasn't for the dolphins, some kind of subsea tidal turbine at Channory Point or the mouth of the Cromarty Firth could be considered.
However in the end there is no shortage of ideas, what we are going to be short of is time and money.
That and in the case of turbines, raw materials. China apparently has the majority of the worlds rare earth magnets, a major component in modern efficient turbines. And although they are saying now they are willing to share, with the whole world wanting them, we could quickly see Peak Rare earth magnets, and China only supplying to there domestic market.
Maybe they will exchange magnets for Scotch.
Martin
Posted 2010-11-10 15:35 (#438 - in reply to #436)
Subject: Re: Marine wind farms

Veteran

I'm not sure about the rare earth magnets, but the Cromarty Firth is on the list of possible sites for a tidal barrage. However, seeing as the first one on the list, the Severn estuary, isn't going anywhere, I doubt much will happen up here. The tidal flow between the Sutors isn't all that high, from memory a knot or so at its peak, I'd imagine Chanonry would be a better bet for a tidal turbine, but the technology is still a bit immature.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software