Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Message from a Climate Change Denier plus thanks to TBI
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

glacio
Posted 2012-11-18 08:34 (#1159)
Subject: Message from a Climate Change Denier plus thanks to TBI

Dave Allison of Muir of Ord sends us thanks for the Out and About in Muir of Ord day, but also confesses to being a climate change denier.
Message follows:

Hi TBI,

Today I attended the excellent "Out & About in Muir of Ord" event.

I thank you for posting in your Forum my eMail, about a very serious development, which "glacio" has kindly posted at:

Green Waste in the Countryside
http://www.transitionblackisle.org/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I would be equally pleased and thankful if you would post, in whole, this missive on your forum

I believe that climate change is real.
I believe that it is a very real phenomenon and that it is happening right now, today, yesterday, a thousand years ago and tomorrow.

Climate Change is not caused by MAN [or woman] but by the SUN and nature.

I do NOT believe that Climate Change is a man-made phenomenon.

I believe the phenomenon of Groupthink may be operating in the TBI forum and elsewhere.

Dave Allison
MAN MADE CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER and proud.
Muir of Ord
info@muirmatters.co.uk
Top of the page Bottom of the page
glacio
Posted 2012-11-18 08:46 (#1160 - in reply to #1159)
Subject: Re: Message from a Climate Change Denier plus thanks to TBI

Hi Dave

The climate of the Planet is determined by the output of the Sun, the exact orbit of the Earth around the Sun that changes over very long time scales, the state of the Planet surface (ice-covered, forest covered, city tarmac, extent of the oceans and position on the planet of the continents etc), and the composition of the atmosphere (its greenhouse gas concentration, how dusty it is, how much moisture there is there, its cloudiness etc). You could consider these aspects to be the NATURE of the Earth. But there is no doubt that humankind has changed many of these aspects of nature and all experiments on how greenhouse gases behave (conducted rigourously in laboratories in controlled conditions) show what effect changing their levels has on the heat absorbing properties of the air.

SO, I have no doubt that humankind has altered the way the climate behaves, but I also know how great a contribution the intrinsic fluctuations in the world's climate makes. The body of independent research across the world is convincing enough for me to see a change of direction of industrial development is needed in terms of non-fossil fuel power generation.

IF you could pin-point the one most crucial fact that convinces you that Climate Change so far since 1950 is not a product of humankind's activities, let us see whether I can agree or disagree with you!!
Anne Thomas
Posted 2012-11-25 20:35 (#1167 - in reply to #1159)

Extreme Veteran

There is some pretty compelling evidence in the recent issue of the New Scientist. Not only is climate change happening, it's happening much faster than we thought it would. The warming so far is less than 1 degree but already it's having unprecedented effects on the world's climate.
http://www.newscientist.com/special/worse-climate?cmpid=NLC%7CNSNS%...
We are heading for 6 degrees by the end of the century. Yes the world has been that warm before but it was so long ago there weren't any humans around to notice and last time it happened much more gradually so ecosystems had a chance to adapt. As humans we have got used to not being able to change the climate so it's hard to believe that we have managed to do so. Our generation has perhaps more power than any other as if we get it wrong it will be too late.
See George Mobiot here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLEo8tul28

glacio
Posted 2012-11-25 21:53 (#1168 - in reply to #1159)

Thank you for your comments Anne. The last time the world as a whole was approaching six degrees warmer than it is now, it was warmer for many many thousands of years. At that time, there was no ice in the world, and sea level was 200 feet higher than it is now. Long term, a rise of six degrees will ensure the major ports and cities of the world are inundated.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software