Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transition Festival or gathering
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

Wendy map
Posted 2013-04-12 10:09 (#1244)
Subject: Transition Festival or gathering

Regular

At our last Communications meeting there was much discussion about what sort of event we might have in the autumn this year. Originally it was thought a gathering of local transition groups would be beneficial to us all. One suggestion was to open that event out to make it more fun by introducing more of a carnival type event possibly involving school children using waste to create their own costumes, and a further suggestion was that we should link it into one of the Christmas markets with the emphasis on food.

Time is moving on and we are not much further ahead in our discussions. Can we please use this forum to express our views more fully and hopefully come to a conclusion at least at the next admin group meeting on Monday May 13th.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Anne Thomas
Posted 2013-05-10 18:53 (#1265 - in reply to #1244)
Subject: Re: Transition Festival or gathering

Extreme Veteran

I think that whatever we do we should invite the other Nearby Transition Groups along.
I would prefer to link it into BIG.
1. There is already a venue booked and a good crowd so it will get the message to a wider audience.
2. We are going to be there anyway in some shape or form.
3. We can do as much or as little as we have the energy/person power to do.
4. I would suggest having a transition 'hub' with stalls for energy, food (selling local food lunches) and transport. Ideally separate teams to organise each aspect so reduces the work for any one person.
5. Booking some space for seminars on different topics with a grand meeting in the evening.
6. A carnival using waste would be great. Maybe even on bikes with a prize for the best costume.
7. We will need to get stalls etc booked soon if we are doing this.
John Wood
Posted 2013-05-21 11:26 (#1273 - in reply to #1265)

Regular

I think we have now agreed that doing our own festival this year at least is not practical. We might, as Anne says, be able to join in with BIG, though we don't want to 'take over' someone else's event. It might be worth raising this potential sensitivity with BIG organisers?

I still like the idea of a Black Isle Festival, perhaps with TBI working together with others, and maybe in 2014? Obviously dependent on raising enough volunteers. What do others think?
Agric
Posted 2013-05-21 23:27 (#1280 - in reply to #1244)

Veteran

I think doing something more at BIG as suggested by Anne is a good idea. I'm not sure of the timetable for BIG, maybe there is scope for us to have a bit of a follow on event, perhaps on Rosemarkie beach?

Another possibility is the Culbokie Gathering in August. There were several hundred folks there last year so likely to be more this year if weather's good. The outdoor venue gives more scope / space, we could do a foraging event as a prelude and cook / prepare its results, augmented with some locally grown stuff, for eating there. Netherton will probably have a couple of cockerels needing to die, I could dispatch them - doing it at the event is possibly taking things too far - and bring along for drawing, plucking and cooking (sorry, I know this will offend some of your sensitivities, but if people will eat meat then it's good they are acquainted with some of the sordid details).
Penny
Posted 2013-05-22 21:54 (#1281 - in reply to #1244)

Regular

I too like the idea of linking in with another event and either BIG or the Culbokie Gathering would work. The idea of having several stands featuring all our relevant strands is interesting - I think it would make our stand less confusing and show our range of work. it will be quite expensive though and who knows what interest we'll get. The idea of linked events is good too - seminars, foraging, beach party etc.
Martin
Posted 2013-05-23 22:59 (#1282 - in reply to #1281)

Veteran

We were approached by Verity (who is now a TBI member, but wasn't at the time) a few years ago to see if we wanted to participate in the running of BIG, so I think she would be sympathetic - although we are probably too late to influence the overall theme of the event (saying that, there's no theme mentioned on the website). There is certainly a close correlation between TBI's objectives and BIG's in terms of localisation.

I sympathise with Agric's view about acquainting meat-eaters with the implicit details, but don't think it would enhance our standing in the community!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software