Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for TBI 2015
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

petermoffatt
Posted 2015-03-24 15:01 (#1519)
Subject: Ideas for TBI 2015

Let's use this thread to discuss the ideas about the current activities and future development of TBI raised in responses to the recent website survey. I have attached the survey results document for reference.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments website survey results Mar 2015.doc (42KB - 133 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Martin
Posted 2015-03-25 12:39 (#1521 - in reply to #1519)
Subject: Re: Ideas for TBI 2015

Veteran

There are quite a few areas where I think we could develop activities:
1. With the end of the Million Miles project imminent, maybe we should set up a sustainable travel group to maintain momentum on that front? There's quite a resource available now as part of the legacy of the project - the active travel map, cycling route cards, the Highland Liftshare website, the community cycle trainers, the Cromarty Slow Cycling Club, etc. - and wouldn't need a great deal of volunteer effort to make sure we get the most out of all that.
2. Apart from our involvement with the Black Isle Community Energy wind scheme, we haven't been very active on energy issues for a while. 40% of those who filled in feed-back forms from the recent "Electricity Windfarms and You" question time event said they would change their behaviour as a result of the event, so it seems it would be good to help them do that in some way.
3. We've never done much about waste issues. Domestic waste from the Highlands is driven to Grangemouth for landfill, which seems an unbelievable waste of money and resources; most of the Black Isle has no roadside collection of garden waste; and very few households have the resources to compost kitchen waste. If we had a few enthusiastic volunteers, I'm sure we could get some action in this area.
John Wood
Posted 2015-03-25 13:12 (#1522 - in reply to #1519)

Regular

Please see separate thread here on local currency - now moved from the Food Group to general Discussions which is more appropriate.
petermoffatt
Posted 2015-03-31 12:17 (#1525 - in reply to #1519)
Subject: RE: Ideas for TBI 2015

I've attached a selective summary of the survey results to this post, ananysing the numbers and picking out some common themes from the write-in questions. There is obviously a demand for more practical gardening help, and we'd welcome ideas as to what form this might take - more on this in the Gardening forum.

There is obviously interest in more meetings and social events. We are planning to show the 'Voices of Transition' film in the autumn, and would be interested to know if members would like to see that combined with a pot-luck supper or cheese and wine evening.

Survey respondents also felt a need for better local advertising and publicity, which implies the need for a volunteer with experience of media or PR work who would be willing to co-ordinate the task of promoting and publicising TBI to a local population some of whom remain ignorant of or unclear about what it is and does. So if you are that person, or know of somebody who might be persuaded, please respond here or contact one of the Directors.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments website survey selective summary.doc (22KB - 140 downloads)
Wendy map
Posted 2015-04-05 22:11 (#1528 - in reply to #1525)

Regular

Yes it would be excellent if we could find someone in our membership who had a bit of PR experience or even someone who'd be prepared to have a go and learn the ropes. We are always needing lively press releases either about forthcoming events or telling of their success afterwards.

Re gardening questions I wonder if the forum is the right place for this - it needs to be very easy for people to access on a weekly basis if it is to be used a lot and not sure the forum achieves that. What do others think?
Anne Thomas
Posted 2015-04-06 08:58 (#1529 - in reply to #1519)

Extreme Veteran

I think Martin's idea of a transport group to maintain Million Miles momentum is a very good idea. We had a group of people interested in this and I think things like bike maintenance at markets should be possible to maintain with perhaps a request for donations to contribute to this.
maggie dove
Posted 2015-05-06 15:00 (#1531 - in reply to #1519)

Regular

We have 23 members at present who have indicated they are interested in travel ( travel is the activity on the membership form rather than transport)
I think its important that we support the legacy of the MM project and these 23 and others could provide a start.
I have just got an electric bike and am happy to show it off to anyone interested and let people try it.
Tony Morey
Posted 2015-06-04 12:44 (#1535 - in reply to #1531)

New user

Dont know if this is the right place for this suggestion:
Back in the days of Calico and Ecosse there was an very good swap shop for just about anything. I roofed a shed with recycled corrugated iron. This would help with recycling/ reducing waste etc. Wasnt there something regarding restoring goods ( eg furniture etc) -what happened to that?
Wendy map
Posted 2015-06-04 15:20 (#1536 - in reply to #1519)

Regular

Tell us more about that shed and the swapping facility - we have a swap your stuff stall at Cromarty but I know nothing about the shed you talk of. We are hoping to have a repairing session at the August market in Cromarty - might you have a skill you could share? The idea is that members share their skills at repairing or re-using items which hopefully give others inspiration to do the same.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software