Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Curly Kale and Parsnip soup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> RecipesMessage format

Peter Moffatt
Posted 2017-03-07 12:02 (#1596)
Subject: Curly Kale and Parsnip soup

New user

This is not so much a recipe as a note about what I did after concluding that making soup was probably the only way to make Curly Kale palatable.

I used the complete heads of about six kale plants, about five small parsnips (all I had left in the garden, but not enough, as the parsnip taste didn't really come through), and two onions.

I cut up the kale, discarding the central stalks, and boiled it, and peeled and cut up and boiled the parsnips separately (probably no need for this). I also cooked the onions separately and made them up into a sauce with margarine, flour and milk (I hoped this might give a bit of creaminess to the result). I mixed it all together with salt, black pepper from the mill, two veggie oxo cubes, mixed herbs and I think some ground ginger and nutmeg, and simmered it for a long time (probably two hours).

I liquidised it, thinning a bit with milk. Ghastly khaki colour like most of my soups (the parsnip and apple was a notable exception), but a good kaley taste.

(Footnote: A friend enthused about Red Russian Kale, and I found some on the seed swap stall on potato day so will be trying that this year. I'm hoping it might even be possible to cook and eat it as a vegetable.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software