Care Home issue ignites local election hustings
24 April 2017
Issues including matching infrastructure provision to population expansion, ship-to-ship oil transfer and cutbacks in local education provision were discussed at a well-attended Highland Council election hustings event in Fortrose on Tuesday.
But the meeting came to life during discussion of the proposal by the Parklands group to build a 40-bed care home on a 'green belt' site in Ness Road, Fortrose, which the company says is the only site it will consider. The strength of local feeling on the issue was obvious as passionate pleas were made for the conflicting needs to increase care home provision on the one hand and to prevent encroachment on the open space between Fortrose and Rosemarkie on the other.
Vikki Trelfer, TBI Membership Secretary and Green Party Candidate in the Council election, made the most telling point of the evening when she deplored the necessity of having to depend for care provision on a profit-seeking private company rather than the preferable alternative of a publicly funded, community-run facility which would enable old people on the Black Isle to receive and afford the care they needed.
Five of the seven candidates standing in the Black Isle ward were present at the meeting: Gordon Adam (Liberal Democrat), Craig Fraser (SNP), Bev Smith (Independent), Rainie Smith (Conservative), and Vikki Trelfer (Green Party). Jennifer Barclay (Independent), and Michael MacMillan (Labour) had sent apologies. The event was capably chaired by Rory Mair, and thanks are due to him and to Fortrose and Rosemarkie Community Council which organised the event with the support of the other Black Isle community councils.
- 30/05/2018 Stop Climate Chaos Scotland 'Climate Action' workshop and film Sunday 17 June Eden Court
- 28/05/2018 Cromarty Open Gardens Saturday and Sunday 23 & 24 June
- 16/05/2018 GROW Observatory experimental growing projects in Austria
- 24/04/2018 Zero Waste Stores - Plastic Free Coastlines
- 20/04/2018 Successful Transition Scotland Gathering at Dunbar
- 18/04/2018 Culbokie looking for Challengers!
- 16/04/2018 Cruise berths expansion proposed for Invergordon
- 24/03/2018 Gardeners - Help is at hand!
- 16/03/2018 March newsletter from GALE
- 14/03/2018 Liftshare 20 years old this year