TBI responds to Holyrood energy consultations
01 June 2017
In the last few days TBI has responded to Scottish Government consultations on energy strategy and fracking. Not surprisingly, we are in favour of increased levels of renewable energy and against fracking! But maybe more importantly, reduced levels of energy demand.
We have seen great strides in decarbonising Scotland's electricity generation in the last few years, but things are about to get much more challenging as the spotlight shifts to eliminating emmissions from transport and heating. Both can be achieved by switching to our newly de-carbonised electricity, but unless we also greatly reduce demand, this will mean many times the level of renewable generation we have now. Even with rapidly dropping costs, especially for PV and offshore wind power, this is going to be difficult. On the other hand, if we change our wasteful habits by better building insulation, more efficient lighting and appliances, planning journeys better - and just finding better things to do, closer to home - we can end up with a cheaper and much easier solution, with no need for fracking.
- 24/05/2018 Another Orienteering Work Party in Culbokie Woods Thursday 31 May
- 22/05/2018 WCCC Conference 2018 Wednesday 30 May Perth
- 16/05/2018 GROW Observatory experimental growing projects in Austria
- 24/04/2018 Zero Waste Stores - Plastic Free Coastlines
- 20/04/2018 Successful Transition Scotland Gathering at Dunbar
- 18/04/2018 Culbokie looking for Challengers!
- 16/04/2018 Cruise berths expansion proposed for Invergordon
- 24/03/2018 Gardeners - Help is at hand!
- 16/03/2018 March newsletter from GALE
- 14/03/2018 Liftshare 20 years old this year