TBI responds to Holyrood energy consultations
01 June 2017
In the last few days TBI has responded to Scottish Government consultations on energy strategy and fracking. Not surprisingly, we are in favour of increased levels of renewable energy and against fracking! But maybe more importantly, reduced levels of energy demand.
We have seen great strides in decarbonising Scotland's electricity generation in the last few years, but things are about to get much more challenging as the spotlight shifts to eliminating emmissions from transport and heating. Both can be achieved by switching to our newly de-carbonised electricity, but unless we also greatly reduce demand, this will mean many times the level of renewable generation we have now. Even with rapidly dropping costs, especially for PV and offshore wind power, this is going to be difficult. On the other hand, if we change our wasteful habits by better building insulation, more efficient lighting and appliances, planning journeys better - and just finding better things to do, closer to home - we can end up with a cheaper and much easier solution, with no need for fracking.
- 26/06/2017 Keep Scotland Beautiful - One Planet Picnic Saturday 1 July Cromarty
- 25/06/2017 Findhorn visit last Saturday
- 24/06/2017 Successful Open Gardens weekends
- 10/06/2017 TBI responds to Scottish Government Consultation on Fracking
- 01/06/2017 TBI responds to Holyrood energy consultations
- 20/05/2017 Have your say on fracking - CONSULTATION CLOSES 31 MAY
- 14/05/2017 Grow North workshop 'Thinking of keeping chickens?' Saturday 3 June
- 30/04/2017 Brilliant 'Start the Week' programme Monday 1 May
- 28/04/2017 Royal day at Resolis last Wednesday
- 25/04/2017 Oil transfers to be discussed in Parliament