TBI responds to Holyrood energy consultations
01 June 2017
In the last few days TBI has responded to Scottish Government consultations on energy strategy and fracking. Not surprisingly, we are in favour of increased levels of renewable energy and against fracking! But maybe more importantly, reduced levels of energy demand.
We have seen great strides in decarbonising Scotland's electricity generation in the last few years, but things are about to get much more challenging as the spotlight shifts to eliminating emmissions from transport and heating. Both can be achieved by switching to our newly de-carbonised electricity, but unless we also greatly reduce demand, this will mean many times the level of renewable generation we have now. Even with rapidly dropping costs, especially for PV and offshore wind power, this is going to be difficult. On the other hand, if we change our wasteful habits by better building insulation, more efficient lighting and appliances, planning journeys better - and just finding better things to do, closer to home - we can end up with a cheaper and much easier solution, with no need for fracking.
- 16/03/2018 March newsletter from GALE
- 14/03/2018 Liftshare 20 years old this year
- 10/03/2018 Sleeper Campaign update - Franchise Manager job vacancy and Serco financial crisis
- 09/03/2018 Dingwall Food Assembly Update
- 08/03/2018 Job opportunities - MOO Food is recruiting
- 06/03/2018 'Dolphin Shuttle' bus service to Chanonry Point
- 24/02/2018 Sleeper campaign gets responses - of a sort
- 18/02/2018 BI Biomass Buyers Group set up
- 14/02/2018 TBI members stride out with a purpose
- 11/02/2018 Transition Network's organisational purpose - ideas wanted