Evanton Wood Community Company
From the Company's website
Our declared Aim/Vision is
"The purchase and active management [of the wood] for the benefit of the community, in a way that maintains and enhances the rich and diverse environment, and develops its educational, recreational and timber resource".
and our specific objectives are
- To manage the wood on a system of low impact silvicultural systems including continuous cover
- To increase the involvement of people in the wood, especially the local community
- To encourage the biodiversity and enhance the beauty of the wood.
Evanton Wood Community Company was established in 2007 following an approach to the community by Novar Estate to sell the 65 hectare mature wood immediately behind the village, bordered by the Allt Graad/R.Glass and Blackrock Gorge. This has long been an important amenity for the community.
It was a 6 year process to engage with the community and gather the funds to purchase the wood and to run a 5-Year Activity Programme. We became the proud owners in August 2012 and took on a part-time Education & Outreach Coordinator soon after. He is working with a wide range of local schools and groups to involve them in the wood in a variety of ways.
We are pleased to have won the 2 Scotland's Finest Woodlands Awards in recent years: The Schools Award (in conjunction with Dingwall Academy) and the Healthy Lifestyles Award.
We hold volunteer days every Friday morning and every last Sat of the month (10am-1pm) to cut back the western hemlock, improve paths, plant native trees, clear brash etc All are welcome.
We also run a programme of occasional family and other events and walks and talks. See our website and Facebook page for details (links below).
Membership is open to all aged 18 and over who subscribe to our aims.
Contact: Adrian Clark
7 Camden Street, Evanton IV16 9XU
- Thursday 27 February
- 19:00 Common Weal / InverYESs Study for Action workshop
- Friday 28 February
- 19:30 Muir Movies - Rocketman
- Saturday 29 February
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- Monday 2 March
- NA Week 2 of Fairtrade Fortnight - to Sunday 8 March
- Wednesday 4 March
- 19:00 Film 'Everyday Rebellion' Muir Hub 7.00
- Friday 6 March
- 19:30 Resolis CA Talks - '. .Rosemarkie Man' & '. .the Lighthouse Men'
- Saturday 7 March
- 11:00 Transition Town Forres Cafe Collective
- 10:00 Cromarty Arts Trust Sewing weekend
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory