Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economics of Happiness
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> WorldwatchMessage format

Anne Thomas
Posted 2012-11-09 18:10 (#1147)
Subject: Economics of Happiness

Extreme Veteran

About 30-40 people packed into the North Kessock School Hall last night to watch the 'Economics of Happiness' film. Whilst most of us had probably realised that GDP isn't really a very good measure of a country's prosperity, this film put it all together and made us realise the way globilisation is taking over the world, making people dissatisfied with their own culture and making people aspire to all have a lifestyle that is completely unaffordable for everyone to have both in economic and environmental terms. It showed how re-localisation can be beneficial in all kinds of ways. We had a 'World Cafe' series of revolving discussion groups afterwards. It's the first time we've tried this format and it seemed to work really well.
We agreed to carry on the discussion on line, so this is my attempt to kick things off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teen
Posted 2012-11-09 18:46 (#1148 - in reply to #1147)
Subject: Re: Economics of Happiness

Regular

The question under discussion in the World Caff was 'What are the barriers to happiness in our lives and communities and what measures might we take to overcome them?'

I'll post about some of the ideas that came out over the next few days... in the meantime remember tomorrow is Scotland's first ever Happiness Day!

According to its founder, Kim Macleod from Glasgow, the idea is 'to encourage people across the country to get together with others and take part in activities that they enjoy and to add an act of kindness to the day to really boost their happiness. There's a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ScotlandsHappinessDay101112 where people can share what they are doing. "The activities can be anything – from gathering friends together for a cup of tea and chat to mountain biking, golf, yoga, music etc etc," says Kim.

"The key part is that people are being social and doing something . I am keen to share the message that you can change your mood and increase your happiness by choosing to do things that are easy and fun. Increasing happiness is achievable for all. Adding the act of kindness is the icing on the cake to take it to the next level and spread it further."

A visit to Cromarty Market for a blether with friends and a spot of local shopping could be just the ticket for Happiness Day methinks!

Listen out for an interview with Kim Macleod on the Fred Macaulay show on Radio Scotland on Monday.

maggie dove
Posted 2012-11-23 10:46 (#1165 - in reply to #1148)
Subject: Re: Economics of Happiness

Regular

You are right Teen--meeting people is an important part of my life and having a chat at Cromarty market is always good.
It was good to ask ourselves the question " what are the barriers to happiness in our lives and what measures might we take to overcome them?"
So I had/have to think of what makes me happy and here is a little list.
Real communication--when visiting my youngest grandson Finn age 18 months he likes to look at me from a distance of about 6inches! -- its as though he is trying top look right inside my head and really understand who I am--no barriers here! So real communication with friends and family is when I let down the barriers and they let down theirs so that we are both just ourselves. So talking to friends and family--I am lucky to have a big family--is very important.
Mindfulness: by which I mean trying to live/enjoy now rather than worrying about yesterday or tomorrow.
I follow the teaching of Thich Nhat Hahn--for me this isn`t a religion but a way of living- we have a little group in Cromarty on tuesdays and about once a month I try to go to a bigger group in Findhorn--these groups are open to anyone.
Growing plants especialy food. I am very lucky to have a garden and now also share an allotment--I really enjoy putting food on the table I have grown myself.
Being outside--I am lucky to live in a beautiful part of the world--so walking , cycling or just standing looking, grandson Finn likes to look at the moon!
Sorry to those of you who work but I have to mention being retired--mind you I work quite hard some days--maybe thats part of it, being able to work at what I think is important.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software