Active Travel Groups' response to Scottish Transport Strategy branded as 'hogwash' by Highland Councillor
28 October 2019
Responses to Scottish National Transport Strategy consultation
Public consultation on Transport Scotland's draft National Transport Strategy closed on 23 October 2019. Read the draft document here.
Here are two local responses
Katie Walter responded on behalf of the Highland Cycle Campaign. Read the HCC response.
TBI director Sheila Currie responded on her own behalf. Read Sheila's response.
(The format of these documents has been changed from the original response form to make them easier to read).
The HCC response refers to the "vastly expensive Longman Roundabout project, costing more than the entire annual budget for Scotland for Active Travel", as being out of line with the vision of the Transport Strategy.
In June this year Highlands and Islands Green MSP John Finnie said the road-building project should be cancelled after both the Scottish government and Highland Council declared a "climate emergency". He said the money should instead be spent on schools.
A group of active travel organisations - Cycling Scotland, Cycling UK, Forth Environment Link, Living Streets, Paths for All, Ramblers Scotland, Sustrans Scotland and Transform Scotland - prepared a joint report in a clear summary format.
This response, in particular the recommendation to end new trunk road construction, was branded as 'urban hogwash' by Caol and Mallaig councillor Allan Henderson.
Press & Journal report 24 October 2019
- 24/02/2020 LAST DAY - Sign the Friends of the Earth Plastic Petition
- 20/02/2020 Coul Links golf course refused planning permission by ministers
- 14/02/2020 Muir Hub Cafe provision out to tender
- 11/02/2020 New president of COP26 climate conference
- 10/02/2020 Website news
- 08/02/2020 New cinema opens in Cromarty
- 04/02/2020 COP 26 President sacked
- 30/01/2020 Transition Town Forres recruiting part time Centre Manager
- 18/01/2020 Extinction Rebellion on Trial
- 11/01/2020 Trump and Greta at Davos