Trump and Greta at Davos
11 January 2020
Donald Trump and Greta Thunberg are attending the current meeting of the World Economic Forum at Davos, and both made speeches today.
The Guardian 21 January 2020
Graeme Wearden in Davos and Julia Kollewe
Environmental destruction is at the top of the agenda at the annual summit of the world's decision-makers.
In his keynote speech, Mr Trump said that it was a time for optimism, not pessimism, in a speech that touted his administration's economic achievements and America's energy boom.
He called for a rejection of "predictions of the apocalypse" and said America would defend its economy.
Speaking of climate activists, he said: "These alarmists always demand the same thing - absolute power to dominate, transform and control every aspect of our lives."
"We will never let radical socialists destroy our economy."
Greta Thunberg repeated her warning of a year ago to the same forum
"Our house is still on fire. Your inaction is fuelling the flames by the hour, and we are telling you to act as if you loved your children above all else."
and ended her speech with three specific and forceful demands for action by world leaders
"We demand at this year's World Economic Forum, that participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments: immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction; immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies; and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels. We don't want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021. We want this done now."
Some criticisms of Greta discussed (Bigthink)
- 24/02/2020 LAST DAY - Sign the Friends of the Earth Plastic Petition
- 20/02/2020 Coul Links golf course refused planning permission by ministers
- 14/02/2020 Muir Hub Cafe provision out to tender
- 11/02/2020 New president of COP26 climate conference
- 10/02/2020 Website news
- 08/02/2020 New cinema opens in Cromarty
- 04/02/2020 COP 26 President sacked
- 30/01/2020 Transition Town Forres recruiting part time Centre Manager
- 18/01/2020 Extinction Rebellion on Trial
- 11/01/2020 Trump and Greta at Davos