We have overshot Earth's capacity for this year
02 August 2022
July 28th was this year's Earth Overshoot day
Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when humanity has used all the biological resources that Earth regenerates during the entire year. Since 1971, Earth Overshoot Day has moved backwards, so we are now consuming the equivalent of 1.75 earths in one year. For the rest of 2022, what we take from nature will not be regenerated.
New Scientist says "To fulfil our material wants, humanity now uses some 100 billion tonnes of stuff every year. More than 90 per cent of it is virgin material that is mined, drilled and hacked from the planet’s surface. Only 30 billion tonnes of it makes anything of permanence. The rest is burned as fuel or used fleetingly and discarded – at each stage polluting land, water and air and creating climate-changing greenhouse gas emissions.
"Moving to a circular economy is an essential part of bringing our resource consumption down to a sustainable level. Which is why it is vital to get a strong and effective Circular Economies Bill in Scotland."
[Thanks to Skye Climate Action for this item.]
- 08/08/2022 Covid-19 - Local and national information
- 06/08/2022 Black Isle Horticultural Society Summer Show Saturday 13 August Rosemarkie
- 04/08/2022 Another packed newsletter from Skye Climate Action
- 02/08/2022 We have overshot Earth's capacity for this year
- 12/07/2022 Circular Economy Bill consultation open until 22 August
- 06/07/2022 New planning move on Coul Links golf course
- 02/07/2022 Good Food and Waste Incineration
- 14/06/2022 Newsletter from Centre for Alternative Technology, Wales
- 06/06/2022 Newsletters from kindred groups
- 12/05/2022 IMF Local Development Plan 2nd stage consultation
- Thursday 18 August
- 18:00 Black Isle Repair Cafe volunteer evening
- 16:00 John o'Groats Trail Community Engagement Sessions
- Saturday 20 August
- NA Culbokie Community Market
- Saturday 27 August
- NA Beautiful Black Isle Photo Festival and Cream Tea
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- Wednesday 31 August
- NA Walking and Talking trees with Richard Lockett
- Thursday 1 September
- NA All the month - Climate Fringe Festival
- Friday 2 September
- NA Dandelion Festival Inverness
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.