Sleeper campaign - read John Finnie in the P & J
06 February 2018
Plans to end “Share with a Stranger” on Caledonian Sleeper condemned
In an interview with P&J reporter Rita Campbell published online on 5 February, Highlands MSP and Green Party Transport spokesman John Finnie said:
“Serco have been high-handed in the manner in which they have sought to alter their fare structure in respect of budget travellers, not travelling together, sharing a cabin.
“Their profit-driven proposal ran contrary to previous undertakings and Serco were taken to task by campaigners for that and right to reverse their decision.
“Sadly, it seems that, contrary to their position at the time of the franchise agreement that the new sleeper would be ‘an iconic Scottish journey available to all from backpackers to business travellers’ Serco say they now want to run an exclusive hotel on wheels."
He added: “I’ve raised a series of questions regarding the layout of the new carriages, and who if anyone was consulted about changed arrangements.”
Read the whole story
The full Sleeper campaign story has been transferred from individual news items to its own pages on the website, at Travel & Tourism / Caledonian Sleeper.
- 20/10/2018 TBI Website Produce Exchange now open
- 18/10/2018 Jailed Fracking pprotesters freed on appeal
- 16/10/2018 European community initiatives on climate change
- 15/10/2018 Inverness Food Assembly closes - Great British Food Hub opens
- 08/10/2018 Climate change - IPCC report calls for urgent action
- 07/10/2018 Orchard Revival Project in the news
- 04/10/2018 Coul Links golf course planning application called in
- 02/10/2018 'Drowning in Plastic' - catch up if you missed it
- 26/09/2018 Sleeper update - new trains delayed again
- 21/09/2018 Mid Ross Community Partnership Meeting Thursday 27 September Munlochy