Extinction Rebellion: Climate protesters 'making a difference'
16 April 2019
Greta Thunberg addresses Climate Change rally
Dan Coles, BBC News 21 April
For much of the day there had been several hundred people at Extinction Rebellion's Marble Arch site.
But the chance to hear from Greta Thunberg - something of a celebrity in the climate protest world - saw the numbers swell into the thousands. The crowd was bolstered by an influx from the Parliament Square location and their banners filled the air.
Greta Thunberg's two-day journey to London by train was eagerly followed on social media and she got a huge cheer as she finally took to the stage.
Her speech was short and sweet, but the message was exactly what the crowd wanted to hear: "Keep going. You are making a difference."
Climate change protesters say they are 'pausing' disruption after more than 800 arrests
Police accuse London Mayor of supporting the protesters
Jamie Johnson The Telegraph 21 April
Climate change protesters will meet with the Metropolitan police and “pause” the disruption that has plagued London for a week, resulting in more than 800 arrests.
The leaders of Extinction Rebellion have announced they are switching from “disruptive tactics” to “political negotiations” as they enter a second week of campaigning to have the Government declare a climate emergency.
The move comes as the number of arrests made in connection with the demonstrations reached 831, with 42 people charged.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that more than 9,000 police officers had been responding to the protests - nearly a third of the Met’s entire force.
He had earlier been accused of giving his tacit support to the campaigners, with John Apter, chair of the Police Federation, telling The Telegraph: “What we don’t need, as well-intended as it might be, is a politician aggravating the situation and making it worse. The likes of Sadiq Khan should be supporting the police, especially when we are having to deal with rising crime on our streets.”
- 16/05/2019 Muir of Ord and Dingwall Markets
- 14/05/2019 The Global Climate Emergency - Climate Change Secretary Roseanna Cunningham's statement to the Scottish Parliament 14 May 2019
- 13/05/2019 BIHS Plant & Produce sale and Soup Lunch Saturday 25 May Avoch
- 12/05/2019 Details revealed for Scotland's bottle and can deposit return scheme
- 10/05/2019 Highland Council declares a climate emergency Highland carbon-neutral target 2025
- 08/05/2019 Nature crisis: Humans 'threaten 1m species with extinction'
- 06/05/2019 UK Parliament declares climate change emergency
- 02/05/2019 Greta Thunberg joins David Attenborough in new Climate Change documentary
- 24/04/2019 BITT seeks feedback in their April Bulletin
- 16/04/2019 Extinction Rebellion: Climate protesters 'making a difference'