UK Climate Assembly reports
Did anybody notice?
A recent email from Greenpeace notes that the UK Citizens' Assembly set up to discuss climate change - Climate Assembly UK - produced its report in September, and gives a summary of its conclusions with numerous links to related topics. There was an online BBC News item, but The Guardian seems to have been the only mainstream newspaper to have thought this worthy of mention.
The assembly was set up by several Parliamentary committees and treated as a 'House of Commons project'. Extinction Rebellion, which campaigned for the setting up of an assembly, gave a cautious welcome to the report, with reservations about the 'insufficient publicity given to the Assembly by the government and by the press' and restrictions placed by Parliament on the scope of their discussions and on advice given to the assembly by expert witnesses.
The relative non-independence of the Assembly and the rather bland nature of its recommendations seem likely to ensure that it will have little effect in modifying the hugely inadequate climate policy of the UK government.
- Monday 10 May
- 19:00 'Carbon Conversations' workshops - Lairg & District Learning Centre
- Wednesday 12 May
- 18:30 Planet Sutherland Permaculture event
- 16:00 HGFP Development Group meeting - Health and Well-being
- 14:00 HGFP Development Group meeting - Education and training
- Thursday 13 May
- 16:00 HGFP Development Group meeting - Community Resilience
- 14:00 HGFP Development Group meeting - Local Food Economy
- 19:30 National Museum of Scotland - Secrets of the Rosemarkie Sunfish
- Monday 17 May
- 19:00 Transition Network Bounce Forward - The Universal Basics
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory