Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New ideas and priorities for TBI
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

Penny
Posted 2011-01-07 13:09 (#488)
Subject: New ideas and priorities for TBI

Regular

Pleae post any suggestions you may have about how you woudl like to see TBI develop and what you would like to see TBI take on in the next year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ColinGordon
Posted 2011-01-16 15:38 (#499 - in reply to #488)
Subject: RE: New ideas and priorities for TBI

Hi there,
I went along to the Beyond the Energy Crunch Debate on Friday, which I really enjoyed. A lot of fairly interesting discussion and good points made.
I did however notice, that I was one of only a few people in the audience who wasn't middle aged or there abouts. It also struck me that most people there seemed to be middle class, fairly intellectual and already sympathetic to environmental issues. It all seemed a little bit cosy and the debate was in a sense preaching to the converted. It wasn't really a balanced debate as such either as there was very little in the way of counter arguments from "the opposition," to stir things up a bit.

For me, for any sort of transition project to be any more than a worthy effort, and to become something that will make a big difference on the Black Isle, you need to broaden the demographics of people who are involved. You need to engage the young, lower income families, and people with lower levels of education.

For me, while focusing on reducing energy consumption, driving less and growing our own food are very important, the thrust of a transition movement has got to be in changing the mindsets and values of the average joe, who's not especially interested. If not it becomes an exclusive club who pat each other on the back. Changing ordinary people's mindsets is a much bigger, harder but more important challenge than focusing on the individual details involved in the transition movement.

This is in no way a criticism of the group as I think what's happening in the Black isle is the most exciting environmental group in these parts, actually doing things as opposed to just noting what's wrong. But for me, the next step has to be broadening the demographic of people and age groups involved.

While talks about knitting our own clothes and things are all nice ideas, they're not going to help do anything but make the group even more insular. Roberto Perez, one of the movers and shakers in getting the population involved in permaculture in Cuba, said that the key was to "keep it sexy." This has got to be what you focus on, for the group to really grow and make a difference.

Hopefully that doesn't upset anyone.
cheers for now,

Colin Gordon

Martin
Posted 2011-01-16 20:14 (#502 - in reply to #499)
Subject: Re: New ideas and priorities for TBI

Veteran

Colin,
Very pertinent points - which were also made at a planning meeting we had today (Sunday) - but no-one had any very good ideas about how to go about it.

To be fair, the event on Friday was aimed at the people who are already thinking about these things, and we're also doing some stuff with schools, for example, which hopefully will widen the audience; but the majority of folk aren't very interested in contemplating what's around the corner, and I don't know how we connect with them. The story of recent changes in society (eg changes in attitude to homosexuality, smoking in public places, drink driving) have, I think, mostly kicked off in the well-educated middle classes, and arguably have been enforced, by legislation, on the majority who, when it came down to it, weren't all that bothered either way.

Have you got any specific suggestions about how we go about broadening the demographic? Would you be prepared to help with this?
ColinGordon
Posted 2011-01-16 20:35 (#503 - in reply to #488)

Hi Martin,

No specifics off the top of my head, but I'd be very willing to help out! All I'd initially say is that environmental solutions should be brought to new demographics, not necessarily by mainly focusing on how important and serious the issues are, but mostly by trying to make solutions cool and sexy.

I'd absolutely be willing to help out, although I'm from a farm near Invergordon myself so am not really from Black Isle. Currently studying for a part time distance learning masters at the Centre for Alternative Technology, and working full time for a Ecobuild company based in Ardross called CarbonLite Design and Build, so fairly busy. My first degree was in media, specifically animation, so I could offer any help I could putting together presentations or doing illustrations, etc.
Also I'm fairly young (23) so I suppose this might help in terms of speaking to younger people and in schools.

As I say I'm keen to get involved in the group and help out any way I can.

All the best

Col
tommy
Posted 2011-01-17 10:38 (#509 - in reply to #503)

Hi Colin, would you be interested in joining the newly formed education group? We will be taking on the task of broadening our demographic this year, first meeting tonight 7pm at Glachbeg, sorry such short notice! Will try and get the points raised onto the forum for discussion afterwards anyway.
ColinGordon
Posted 2011-01-17 22:33 (#515 - in reply to #488)

Hi there,

I'd definitely be up for joining the Education group! Missed tonight's meeting unfortunately as I was working up in Tongue and for the rest of the week. I'll email you my email address.

Thanks a million and all the best

Col
tommy
Posted 2011-01-20 10:01 (#525 - in reply to #488)
Subject: RE: New ideas and priorities for TBI

I'd like to get the zero carbon relay in but not sure where it fits, has elements of food, communication and education, heres the project brief fitted into the CCF format for a rough idea,

Activity one
Zero carbon relay
Description
A pilot project in which participants take turns in relay to live for at least 1 day without emitting any CO2 over 3 consecutive months. In preparation for the relay there will be classes and experiments in relevant skills for participants and online resources to prepare and book places. The project leader will begin the relay and start off each month to establish sources and methods appropriate to each time. Participants will need to consider food, transport, entertainment, how to work and make transactions etc.

Outputs and key milestones
• 5 day pilot in April to be carried out by Project leader. Presented in online blog
• Publicity to promote pilot and sign up participants
• Skills classes to train participants eg, fire lighting, charcoal, mushrooming, foraging (ongoing)
• Establish resource network, eg for road kill, garden surplus, access to tools and activities, barter for CO2 free items.
• Take students on work experience for a day.
• Presentation to schools upon completion of project.
Costs by type
• Project leader time, 5 days a month for first 6 months. 10 further days thereafter.
• Publicity
• Tools and equipment
• training

Table of monthly costs with total
April- 5 day pilot, publicity, recruitment, blog
May-research, publicity, recruitment, inform schools and establish relationship
June-research and preparation classes
July-relay begins with preparation class and 3 days from project leader
August- month begins with preparation class and 3 days relay from project leader
September-month begins with preparation class and 3 days relay from project leader
October –relay ends when last participant stops
November-develop and deliver presentation to schools
December-blog continues with seasonal updates, (zero carbon xmas?)
January-
February-
March-legacy, blog continues, develop plans for year long relay with longer participation times.

Co2 calculations explained
Average CO2 emissions for one individual in Scotland over the time of the relay, plus any behaviour change that can be attributed to the project.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software