Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sundays meeting: a different interpration of the story
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

Colin Miller
Posted 2011-01-17 19:12 (#510)
Subject: Sundays meeting: a different interpration of the story

To those at the meeting this may mean something, to others a piece of rubbish.
My interpration of the story enacted on Sunday
Appoligies to the girls trying to keep us under control.

Vision of the Future by Colin Miller

One day Crow had an idea to help secure the future for the country.
So he decided to carry out a public consultation and undertake a feasibility study.

He approached three crows for their opinions.
He asked the first crow “What are these for?” pointing to his wings with his beak.
“To gather in money and benefits from the Tortoise”.
He repeated the same question to the second crow “What are these for?”
“For working to make money to eat and to pay the Tortoise”
The question was put to the third crow “What are these for?”
“To earn money to improve my family’s lifestyle, provide a pension for my retirement and keep the Tortoise in luxury”

Crow considered his consultation results, and concluded that the Tortoise would be the best starting point for his feasibility study. A quick search on Google revealed that Tortoise lived on top of the mountain. So Crow went to the mountain.

Crow started his climb. Past many levels of bureaucracy, legislation and dead end paths. Finally, after a great deal of effort, Crow reached the top. Taking a breather he surmises “I have come so far and with a little help, I can do this, I can fly”
“I believe you can fly too” came a voice from below. Crow looked down and realised that the mountain was the Tortoise and he was standing on top of the shell. “Tortoise”
He said “I require more than your belief, I need instruction on how to proceed, I need to know which direction to fly. I require the benefit of your knowledge and acumen.

“Well” replied the Tortoise “We have given the problems of flight a great deal of consideration and discussion over the past few years, but have failed to reach a consensus of opinion. We are of course committed to flight and plan to implement a final draft by 2020. Even then it will be more of a hop skip and jump rather than an aerial display, however, we do envisage quite a lot of flapping between the skip and jump. We are on target for full flight by 2050 as long as no other Tortoise is in power.

“Have you no advice for me?” pleaded Crow “not even a starting point?”
“All that we can say, is that so far, we have discussed: Jumping on the spot, flailing wings in a circular motion, using solar thermals (tried out by the Greeks I believe with disastrous results; wrong type of glue I am told) and a nuclear back pack. The preferred way forward at this time, is to close your eyes, put your feathers in your ears and jump off, hoping for a soft landing.” Business over, Tortoise retracts into its shell to concentrate on how to claim its new second shell on the Galapagos Islands against expenses.

Crow reflected on the advice given to him, and came to the sad conclusion that if he waited for Tortoise he may never fly. Crow psyched himself up “I can do it” he exclaimed “I can do it by myself”. Crow ran across the shell, and with a loud shout of “Boris Johnson” launched himself off the edge. He flapped his wings erratically, flew for a few metres, failed to find a rhythm and began to spiral towards the ground. Crow braced himself for the inevitable end of his life, the end of the new idea, “if only the Tortoise had provided more support” he screamed. Suddenly there was a loud retort at the base of the shell heralding the arrival of a strong upward thermal of hot air. Tortoise had come through in the end, albeit seconds before the crow hit the ground.
Crow rode the thermal upwards, gaining altitude and confidence. He flapped his wings and flew out of the thermal and glided over the land. “Now I can fly, now I have a direction” he said “I will show the other crows how to fly”.

Crow flew to share his experience with the flightless crows.
He spied the first crow sitting on the lawn in his garden.
“Come up and join me” he enthused “It takes some effort but you can do it yourself”
“I will join you when Tortoise pays for it” came back the reply.
Crow found the second crow fixing his car.
“Come up and join me” he said” it does not cost much”
“I would” he replied “but I have other priorities; anyway Tortoise takes most of my wages in tax, fuel duty and Vat.”
He found the third crow coming out of the Bank.
“Come up and join me” he said, hopefully “you can afford it”
“I probably will after I retire” he promised “assuming that Tortoise has not devalued my savings and pension. Incidentally, what is the projected rate of return on capital costs?”

Dejected, Crow flew away. He proved that it could be done, but unless the other crows made an effort what hope was there for the future? Crow flew onwards, over mountains and valleys, growing more desolate and weary every day. “I am the only one flying” he observed “no one else has made the effort.” However, next day, shortly after flying over a large mountain, he spotted a stretch of land beyond a narrow sea inlet. There were a multitude of crows flying over it and below him a glorious site unfolded.

Sailing boats were unloading their days fishing catch at every harbour. Farms were growing cereals and vegetables and rearing livestock. Watermills and even a tidal mill were grinding grain for next days fresh baking. Fruit trees and bushes were growing in orchards and hedgerows. Villages were surrounded with woodland for firewood and allotments were in full production. The streets were bustling with people going about their business and others were just standing chatting. The children were playing in the woods, farms and villages. There was an aurora of happiness radiating from every face. “If this is the future I am glad I made the effort” Crow exclaimed.
Crow landed on The Black Isle and lived happily ever after.

Epilogue 2050

Tortoise is now living in the Galapagos Islands and running Britain via high speed Internet.
The flightless crows are all working together in the paddy fields in Southern England.
The Black Isle continues to bloom.

Authors Note:
My Vision of the Future
Fairy Tale, Utopia, Prophecy?
None of the above; Just the way it was in the not too distant past.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Martin
Posted 2011-01-17 20:50 (#511 - in reply to #510)
Subject: Re: Sundays meeting: a different interpration of the story

Veteran

Colin, this is excellent!

But maybe there are enough places around the country where crows are learning to fly, that the crows in the places in between can't help notice that there's something going on despite the tortoise, and gradually the flying crows take over. Tortoise's internet account is suspended by the liberated crows, so he loses any contact with the outside world, and takes to drink, eventually dying, an outcast.
Agric
Posted 2011-01-17 20:58 (#512 - in reply to #510)

Veteran

I share some of that perception, Colin. Back in late 2009 when TBI discussed projects and funding I expressed the opinion that chasing grants to do projects was often as much a curse as a boon.

Of course, in your tale the tortoise obtained his money, position etc by taxing the crows.

The part of the original story that REALLY didn't work for me was the bit about the importance of the supportive words / belief given by the tortoise. I mean, do I give a 4X that a tortoise believes or not that I can fly?

But I don't share your rosy view of the future: if the rest of the world outside the Black Isle suddenly ceased to be I don't think there would be too many people alive here after a few years - unless somehow we make considerable changes before that eventuality.

That said, TBI has done a fair bit in a shortish time and will do more in the relatively short time up to and through 'the transition'. I know of no better vehicle locally for getting positive things done, so let's roll up our sleeves and get on with it.
Wendy map
Posted 2011-01-25 09:35 (#532 - in reply to #510)

Regular

Colin, I just love your story - a much better one than Emma told on our training - we should send it to her. Would you mind - it might be an inspiration for other groups of non flying crows!
Colin Miller
Posted 2011-01-25 20:01 (#533 - in reply to #532)

I do not object to my story being sent on
maggie dove
Posted 2011-02-02 20:33 (#540 - in reply to #533)

Regular

Thanks Colin,
I really wonder whether we might not acheive more without money and all the worry of how to plan it, manage it, spend it quick, quicker.
But then we needed money for the apple press.....
Is there a middle way?
David Franklin
Posted 2011-02-11 10:51 (#553 - in reply to #510)

Regular

The good news is there are many "alternative" economies that we use everyday.
Such as Barter; the direct exchange of goods, Gift; Giving away surplus with no thought of "quid pro quo", or even "the Bank of Mum and Dad"; an interest free loan with no written contract or schedule for repayment.

So with regards to the Apple press.
Can you exchange something for it?
Does someone have one they can no longer use or have a use for?
Can you build your own?

My personal opinion (at the moment) is that local economies shouldn't need money (but then your on to trying to define local) and that money should only be used for goods that come from further away.

In the end "Money" is only an IOU, a promise of future work.

Martin
Posted 2011-02-11 15:31 (#556 - in reply to #553)

Veteran

This is miles away from Colin's original topic, but I must say, I really like the idea of doing much more business by barter, if only to put the economy back into recession whilst demonstrating that it's possible to improve our standard of living despite a contracting "economy" as defined by the bankers!
Colin Miller
Posted 2011-02-16 17:50 (#560 - in reply to #556)

I have used the barter system all my working life.
Many small companies exchange services for mutual benefit.
This is still on topic for my story's conclusion, the barter system was very successful in the not so distant past.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software