Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Inconvenient truths about the coming transition"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

Agric
Posted 2011-05-07 00:08 (#688)
Subject: "Inconvenient truths about the coming transition"

Veteran

Courtesy of "Transition Voice", a similar but different view to mine - so you'll probably not want to read it, LOL. Nice to know (or is it?) that I'm not alone:
http://transitionvoice.com/2011/04/inconvenient-truths-about-the-co...

Read this quote from it before choosing to read it (no,he's not as scary as me, but not many of you listen to me ;=)) ):

"In conclusion

I think we all accept the Transition Equation: Community = Resilience = Good. What I’ve tried to do is point out the cracks in a sloppy, ideological transition rather than a hardy, pragmatic one.

It’s too easy to lose track of how big a part of our best laid plans still rely on the chimera of the fossil fuel economy. When it comes to building a local community around reliable supplies of equitably shared resources, frequently the more we look into it, the more it falls apart.

As Dmitry Orlov is fond of saying, we seem to go to any length to avoid simply getting by with less. Even ardent environmentalists talk with shining eyes about a future of hybrid cars, smart meters and nuclear power.

Continuing our current enterprise by other means is not the same as changing the entire meaning and trajectory of our cultural narrative. If we’re going to make it over the hump, we need to be honest about what the future really holds and how we can face it, armed with a tight-knit community of like-minded individuals and a willingness to dig deeper than the window box."

I have a question for you: is "cultural narrative" as used in above paragraph the same-ish as "perceptual reality" as I might use it (being probably immune to culture and narratives). And does that community need to be a tight knit armed one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Penny
Posted 2011-05-08 21:59 (#692 - in reply to #688)
Subject: RE: "Inconvenient truths about the coming transition"

Regular

Thanks for this Agric. I thought it was an excellent post. The discussion is also well worth a read.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software