Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Communication anyone?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

John Wood
Posted 2012-04-17 15:19 (#954)
Subject: Communication anyone?

Regular

There is a lively debate going on at the moment within TBI about our communication strategy. So what do you think? Who should we communicate with, when, how, why and about what?

Please don't be shy... Any ideas gratefully received!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RichardR
Posted 2012-04-19 10:09 (#955 - in reply to #954)
Subject: Re: Communication anyone?

Not having any experience in the communications field I feel I can comment freely. Bear in mind that it might be nonsense. I would hope that TBI has something to say to everyone on the Black Isle, but not necessarily the same thing to everyone and not everyone has the same priority. So breaking down communications into more specific themes and groups would be the best way of proceeding. The type and mode of communication with gardeners, for example, would be quite different from communications that will work with young people concerning transport. Probably need a professional to sort out who, how, and what, so I'll stop there.
Wendy map
Posted 2012-04-20 14:08 (#958 - in reply to #954)

Regular

This is an interesting idea, Richard and one which we have never tried. I guess the difficulties could be identifying which of our members are interested in what.

Continuing the Google groups debate, my own feeling is that if there are people out there who find the plethora of environmental events and information useful to them (and there were 4 who responded to Anne's request on the benefits of the Google group) then they should be able to access that but not through TBI as here is where TBI information is to be found. Anne Thomas kindly offered to run a Google group for that purpose - so long as it is not called a TBI Google group I don't have a problem with that. We could even have a link to that site from our own, but it would definitely not be run by TBI nor have anything officially to do with TBI, although it could easily carry our events.

If this was thought to be a reasonable approach I'd happily submit a paper for approval at our next admin group meeting.
John Wood
Posted 2012-04-20 15:36 (#959 - in reply to #958)

Regular

I agree with both the above posts.

I certainly have no objection to anyone setting up a 'green' Google group or similar of their own but I agree with Anne that it needs to be independent of TBI.

I have recently reviewed the FoE Inverness and Ross Google Group, which I also set up, and noted that as only a small number of people use it. Also - as with the TBI one - almost the only people who post anything to it are Anne Thomas and me. So I have now handed over ownership of that group to Anne, and withdrawn from it myself.

I agree in principle with the point Richard makes about the different audiences, but at the moment I don't see any practical way a small group of volunteers can produce separate communications for each of them. Perhaps if we can get a revamped newsletter going we could have distinct sections aimed at these different interests?
RichardR
Posted 2012-04-20 16:07 (#961 - in reply to #958)

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, Wendy. I took the question to mean how does TBI communicate with the world, whereas I think you're dealing with questions about how TBI communicates with its members. Both are important, but they're different.
maggie dove
Posted 2012-04-25 09:45 (#968 - in reply to #954)

Regular

I think your right Richard and maybe we have got so bogged down in the pro`s and cons of the forum and google that we have forgotten the bigger picture.
Thank you for bringing us back to it.
I have certainly learned a lot from Catriona Ross who has helped us a great deal with our communication strategy.
I think a google group for general green info sounds good but I personaly would be scared to be part of it because of the amount of emails it generates.
However to get back to your point Richard I suppose we do still need to do a lot of liaising with other groups--finding the energy is sometimes hard.
RichardR
Posted 2012-04-25 10:09 (#970 - in reply to #968)

Maggie -

I was thinking about the wider communication issue in the context of the new transport project. As that has funding it should be possible to piggyback other TBI communications using the same approach, which would be developed by the PR person. I agree that it would be too much to expect volunteers to develop and implement a more complex communications strategy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software