Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greening Homes and gardens - should we do this again?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Forums -> DiscussionsMessage format

John Wood
Posted 2012-05-02 17:32 (#979)
Subject: Greening Homes and gardens - should we do this again?

Regular

The subject of the Greening Homes and Gardens events we ran in 2009 and 2010 came up at yesterday's admin meeting.

I am part of the Superhomes Network and their latest newsletter arrived this morning. In it is the following. Note the comments about the Green Deal which might stimulate interest, and also the suggestion that DECC might fund 'open home events around the country'. Worth pursuing?

"Green Deal - What’s in it for us?

Come the Green Deal in October, it is likely that many homeowners will be seeking an independent view and asking ‘What’s in it for me?’. The market research around the Green Deal Consultation suggests people will want to find out how measures are installed and work. They'll want to read testimonials as to the impact, and visit a forum to learn and share their experience. DECC has set aside £200m to create demand. However, if people are looking at a £10k loan they are likely to want to see what they are going to get. Demonstration and impartial advice in situ, plus a reminder that it's also about doing something for the planet, is where SuperHomes could be a great help.

DECC has not ruled out making a contribution to Exemplar home networks like SuperHomes. Discussions are on-going and in April a large contingent from DECC visited Nick Sandy’s SuperHome in Bath. We're exploring the possibility of creating an umbrella organisation which could attract and funnel funding to SuperHomes and similar open home events around the country (eg. Bristol Green Doors, Brighton Eco Open House). As we are also helping DECCs press team with interviews, we are maintaining a good level of visibility with DECC. Our partner NEF is assisting with Green Deal Provider workshops so we can be confident we’ll be kept in the loop with any opportunities."

So, should we Greening Homes and Gardens again? What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
David Franklin
Posted 2012-05-03 10:55 (#982 - in reply to #979)
Subject: Re: Greening Homes and gardens - should we do this again?

Regular

As much as my family and I enjoy the Greening Homes and Gardens events, i feel there may be a conflict with the Million Miles project. However there is always the possibility of combining it with a Cycle or bus tour, if there were, say, only 6 homes with each home using a different approach.
John Wood
Posted 2012-05-03 11:05 (#983 - in reply to #982)

Regular

Interesting idea! Does anyone have access to an electric bus?!
David Franklin
Posted 2012-05-03 14:39 (#984 - in reply to #983)

Regular

I hadn't thought it necessary to go that far. After all 1 bus equals, what, 12 cars? But a diesel bus running on some kind of bio-fuel, if we ignore the EROEI (as well as the enviromental and food supply issues).
But now that you have mentioned it, perhaps we could ask Falkirk based ADL for a shot of one of their Hybrids?
http://www.alexander-dennis.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software