Ferries and tunnels
Tunnels to Yell and Unst?
Campaigning groups in Yell and Unst are raising funds to to pay for the first phase of exploration into the building of subsea tunnels to replace the ferries to the Shetland mainland.
A recent newsletter from Scottish Community Action draws attention to this article in The Herald by Brian Donnelly.
Transport Committee Ferries report published
The Scottish Parliament's Net Zero, Energy and Transport Committee published its report, A Modern and Sustainable Ferry Service for Scotland, on 26 June. The government's news website states
Leadership, long-term strategic-thinking and investment is needed to bring Scotland’s ferry services to an acceptable standard
The committee's 74 recommendations follow the summary, under headings including Understanding and measuring the problem, How should taxpayer supported ferry services be run?, Investment in ferries and infrastructure, and integration, accessibility and fares.
Read the report (online PDF)
PDF download (crashes Foxit reader)
- Wednesday 27 September
- NA SCCAN Climate for Change conversation
- NA Community Energy Scotland Conference Edinburgh
- Thursday 28 September
- 19:00 Climate Cafe Black Isle - Fermenting workshop
- Friday 29 September
- 10:00 SSEN webinar on upgrading north of Scotland electricity grid
- NA Transition Network - 'Planet Local' summit
- Saturday 30 September
- NA Highland Good Food Partnership AGMs and local events
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- Saturday 7 October
- 10:30 Community Assembly - Highland Renewable Energy Company?
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory