Internet energy cost
Maggie Dove has drawn attention to an article by James J Johnston in the Press & Journal of 11 October on
Paying the Environmental Price of the Internet
"Not unreasonably, most people look at the internet, and the provision of online services as “free” and environmentally friendly. We cannot touch them – they are virtual, we may pay a subscription, but it is commonly thought that it is a necessity that doesn’t have much of an effect on the environment. Indeed, how could a person globally-linked HD-gaming in their room with someone on the other side of the world possibly harm the environment?"
Read the article to find out how.
- Wednesday 27 September
- NA SCCAN Climate for Change conversation
- NA Community Energy Scotland Conference Edinburgh
- Thursday 28 September
- 19:00 Climate Cafe Black Isle - Fermenting workshop
- Friday 29 September
- 10:00 SSEN webinar on upgrading north of Scotland electricity grid
- NA Transition Network - 'Planet Local' summit
- Saturday 30 September
- NA Highland Good Food Partnership AGMs and local events
- 10:00 North Kessock Community Market
- Saturday 7 October
- 10:30 Community Assembly - Highland Renewable Energy Company?
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory