Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potato day first pass planning
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> Food Group General DiscussionMessage format

Agric
Posted 2011-01-16 18:50 (#501)
Subject: Potato day first pass planning

Veteran

This will break into multiple threads soon as the important aspects need to be fleshed out in more detail.

I'll need help and feedback - fast - to help me get it as right as possible in the limited time available. I think I'll be able to do most of the organising but would welcome a couple of people joining in with the planning if they have the urge.

The key aspects as I initially see them:

1. Timing and location
It must happen before mid March, probably best at a weekend, perhaps tacked on after another event like a community market. If we aim to get a decent attendance - anything less than 100 people would be a dismal failure in my opinion, I'd like to aim for 200+ - it would be wise to do it near the A9 so North Kessock, Munlochy, Culbokie seem promising locations.

2. Demand
Assessing this will be the most critical determinant of success and will determine what we order. I think contacting local organisations that would be interested (gardening societies, transition groups, highland peoples' food seed bank, etc) is a good route, they can provide some idea of interest and potentially provide at least word of mouth publicity. I'll need to contact these very quickly otherwise they might already have bought. please suggest any other organisations you think I should contact.

3. Supply
We produce lots of seed potatoes hereabouts so should try to make use of those insofar as we can. I met Bright Gordon (now sadly departed) for a long chat a while back but I'm sure there are others in her or similar positions who we could approach. I don't want to step on the toes of outlets who retail seed potatoes locally so would steer clear of providing the same product that they do (prepacked limited range) and for similar reasons think it's probably not the best route to team up with a local garden centre or whatever to stage our potato day - but I'm open to convincing persuasion that it could work. There are further afield producers (like Perthshire), some organic, that we could approach. But to have a minimum of 50 varieties, and I'd like to aim higher than that, we'll probably need to order at least some seed from suppliers like Alan Romans. Thoughts about supply strategy would be very welcome.

4. Publicity
Not thinking much about this yet, should be able to get a fair bit. I plan to contact other organisations that do potato days and ask for their advice, hopefully they could provide some online publicity too.

5. Spin-offs
Beyond the usual TBI and similar stands is there anything else we want to piggyback on this? Someone else will need to handle this aspect if so, my hands will be full. Do we want to attempt any talks / seminars about potatoes as part of the day? If so I could suggest this to suppliers we approach. Could be venue dependent.

6. Delivery Mechanics
We should be able to do without too much labour. I'd guess that 2 to 4 people for about 3 hours would suffice for getting the potatoes out, taking purchases, cleaning up etc. Any refreshments, talks etc would be additional.

7. Finance
If demand is guessed right this should be self financing. My current thought is that a tuber price of 20p would be about right. I'm confident enough to take the risk of financing it myself and aim to be within £50 profit or loss of breakeven with a 90% probability.

That's a start, I'll break above items 1, 2, 3, 5 into separate threads here very soon. Please reply to this thread for the others, meanwhile, and with anything else you'd like to say.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
maggie dove
Posted 2011-02-04 14:06 (#543 - in reply to #501)
Subject: Re: Potato day first pass planning

Regular

Do you want extra`s ? eg I have some blackcurrent and redcurrant 2nd year cuttings which I am happy to sell for TBI funds? or do you want it to be just potatoes?
Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-02-05 16:32 (#544 - in reply to #543)
Subject: Re: Potato day first pass planning

Extreme Veteran

Is this going ahead? North Kessock Community market will be in the school again this month (26th). Ron Gibson MSP is going to be visiting. We have a food demo afterwards. There is not that much space in the school hall for any additions, but there is the 'After school club' space which is a large room, so it could run concurrently if we can book this. March Ferintosh market is likely to be too late. I think we are better to make use of and expand an existing audience if we can.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software