Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potato day: demand
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> Food Group General DiscussionMessage format

Agric
Posted 2011-01-16 20:50 (#504)
Subject: Potato day: demand

Veteran

A first objective is to contact any local organisations that might want to come to a potato day,ones that have sprung to my mind are:

Transition groups:
- Alness
- Inverness
- Forres

Gardening societies:
- Black Isle Horticultural Society
- Tain Gardening Society

Allotments and community gardens:
- ours
- Rosemarkie
- Alness

Other:
- The Highland Peoples' Food Seed Bank

Please add to this list urgently, I plan to contact these within a week at very latest and will probably start to do so within a day.

Another question is whether we might incorporate specific orders from individuals and / or organisations to save them postage costs / possibly get discounts. I'd like to but only if it doesn't impose too great an overhead.

At an average price of £5 per 3kg and 13 tubers per kg (it mostly ranges from 8 to 20 per kg) so 40 per 3kg, 50 varieties would be 2000 tubers so enough for 20 tubers each for 100 people and a potato cost of about £275 inc postage. That's my notional starting point but I would like to double the quantity and go for perhaps 75 varieties if the demand can be seen to justify it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Agric
Posted 2011-01-17 22:15 (#514 - in reply to #504)
Subject: Re: Potato day: demand

Veteran

I've done some initial guesstimates / calculations on demand ranges off the top of my head...

100 people buying 10 each = 1000 potatoes, maximum varieties 25, probable varieties 25, likelihood of demand exceeding this: 95%
100 people buying 20 each = 2000 potatoes, maximum varieties 50, probable varieties 50, likelihood of demand exceeding this: 75%
200 people buying 20 each = 4000 potatoes, maximum varieties 100, probable varieties 65, likelihood of demand exceeding this: 50%
300 people buying 24 each = 7200 potatoes, maximum varieties 180, probable varieties 90, likelihood of demand exceeding this: 15%
300 people buying 30 each = 9000 potatoes, maximum varieties 225, probable varieties 100, likelihood of demand exceeding this: 5%

When I first attended a potato day there were about 150 varieties, I bought 6 each of 12 varieties = 72 potatoes

Any thoughts?
Anne Thomas
Posted 2011-01-19 16:26 (#520 - in reply to #514)

Extreme Veteran

I'm wondering if we could have a series of stalls in different areas rather than one event. Maybe take over 2 or 3 tables at Culbokie and North Kessock Markets and any remaining to go to Community Gardens/ allotments for pick up by people who can't make original days. Would cut down on Carbon as people could go to the market at the same time and we wouldn't need to book or heat a hall and would make use of mutual publicity.
Agric
Posted 2011-01-20 01:05 (#522 - in reply to #520)

Veteran

Thanks Anne, that's an interesting way of doing things that I hadn't considered - though I had been wondering what to do for people who can't make it on the day. I would still like to go for a dedicated 'event' if the demand looks like supporting it but for people who can't make that I was thinking of taking specific orders so they can have supplies of a few tubers of desired varieties without then having to fork out excessive postage costs.

No reason why we shouldn't supply stocks of a more limited range of varieties (say, 20-ish) to events like community markets in advance of the main day, and to use up surplus after the main day.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software