Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potato day: supply
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Food Group -> Food Group General DiscussionMessage format

Agric
Posted 2011-01-16 21:59 (#506)
Subject: Potato day: supply

Veteran

This is going to be as hard as demand to do well.

I would like to use supplies direct from local growers / factors for the core of our potato day, to do that I need names and phone numbers or email addresses, so please help me with any info you can - I can edit posts here to remove sensitive contact info so it's probably safe to post here, or you can send me a PM (personal message) here or email me on my more public email address: agric@operamail.com
or my less public email address if you know that.

We should be able to source 20+ varieties locally in this way. Others we could get from similar suppliers elsewhere in Scotland, I have links to some I'll post here soon-ish, if you know of others please say. That will probably get us up to 30 or 40 varieties. Then we'll need to use online retail suppliers to add varieties that we / I particularly want.

If we were planning this about 2 months earlier we might try to organise some kind of sponsorship to get special deals. I will try gently to get discounts but I don't think we should compromise what we do for the sake of a few £. I would intend to say where each potato was sourced from in any case.

How organic should we aim to be? I could do a poll on this.

I'd prefer not to undermine local retailers too much. The idea of a potato day is to give amateur growers the chance to buy small quantities of many varieties to try out. Perhaps we should limit individuals to 10 of any one variety? It will be worth knowing what is being sold locally so we don't over-order those - I'll start a specific thread here for people to say what's out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Agric
Posted 2011-02-18 15:21 (#561 - in reply to #506)
Subject: RE: Potato day: supply locally sourced varieties

Veteran

I've spoken with two of three local seed potato growers that I've been trying to contact, and should be able to source about twenty different varieties from them in 5 to 10 kg amounts (which would be 50 to 150 tubers each).

Probable varieties include:

Pentland Dell
Saxon
Cabaret
Maris Piper
Lady Rosetta
Lady Jo
Hermes
Piccolo Star
Saphire
Accord
Elizabeth
Shepody
Yukon Gold
Innovator
Victoria
Orchestra
Lady Valora
Amora
Sassy
Rodeo
Casablanca
Agric
Posted 2011-02-19 01:02 (#563 - in reply to #506)
Subject: RE: Potato day: supply - 25kg bags

Veteran

In addition to the locally supplied potatoes above I plan to get up to 10 x 25kg bags to provide a bulk stock of good varieties of different types so we don't run out and can provide choice even if demand is amazing. It typically costs £15 + £5 carriage for a 25kg bag (approx 80p / kg) whereas the cost for buying in 3 to 4 kg amounts per variety is around £1.50 / kg upwards including carriage, so it makes sense even if we only sold half.

Choosing these is probably the most important supply decision. The locally sourced varieties are largely predetermined by availability, the selection available in 3 to 4 kg amounts is wide but there won't be enough for everyone to have some (3 to 4 kg would be 25 to 75 seed potatoes, dependent on size).

The task for this weekend is to pick about 10 varieties from the list below for buying in 25kg bulk. I'll probably do the ordering on Monday 21st Feb so if you want a voice, speak now. The ones I really favour are marked **, others I'm inclined towards *. Use the links I posted earlier today to find out about the different varieties.

First earlies
========
Colleen
Pentland Javelin
Sharpes Express
Duke of York
Red Duke of York
Arran Pilot
Dunluce
Epicure *
Foremost
Home Guard
International Kidney
Lady Christl *
Premiere
Rocket
Swift *
Ulster Prince
Ulster Sceptre
Vanessa *
Winston *
Orla **

Second Earlies
===========
Balmoral
Bonnie *
British Queen *
Carlingford
Charlotte
Marfona
Maris Peer
Nadine
Nicola
Pixie *
Smile **
Stroma
Wilja
Bambino *

Early Maincrop
===========
Argos
Blue Belle **
Cara
Celine
Desiree
Edzell Blue *
Harlequin **
Harmony
King Edward
Maris Piper
Markies
Maxine *
Navan
Pentland Crown
Pentland Squire
Picasso **
Linda
Isle of Jura
Hunter
Highland Burgundy Red **
Vales Everest
Ambo
Record
Romano
Sante
Setanta **
Stemster
Valor
Robinta
Remarka

Late Maincrop
==========
Arran Victory **
Golden Wonder *
Kerrs Pink *
Pink Fir Apple *
Sarpo Mira *

There are some varieties that I really want that are not available from the two suppliers of 25kg bags that I've homed in on (due to range, price, carriage), those will have to be done in the 20-ish varieties we do in smaller quantities. I'll tackle that order once these bulk orders are decided, probably Tuesday next (22nd Feb). The glaring omissions that spring to my mind (because I've grown them and thought them excellent) are: Accent, Mimi, Amandine, Juliette, Sarpo Axona, Kestrel, Rooster, Anya, Salad Blue, Shetland Black, Cherie, Milva, Pompadour. If you have any really desired varieties THE TIME TO SPEAK IS NOW!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

We are part of the rapidly expanding worldwide Transition Towns movement. The Black Isle is a peninsula of about 100 sq miles ENE of Inverness in Scotland, UK.

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software | © 2002-2024 PD9 Software