Black Isle Horticultural Society update
18 May 2020
Graham Sullivan, Secretary, Black Isle Horticultural Society, writes
Along with everything and everybody else, the Horticultural Society has been affected by COVID-19. We hope you are well, staying safe, and coping with life as it is just now. Many of us feel very grateful that we have the opportunities and escape that gardening can provide.
We have of course had to cancel our Plant Sale and Soup Lunch that we had intended to hold this month. This is normally our main fundraising event in the year.
The date of our Summer Show this year is 8th August (Show Schedule can be found on our website http://www.spanglefish.com/blackislehorticulturalsociety/index.asp ). At this stage it’s unclear whether we’ll be able to go ahead. Our Committee will review this in the first half of June, and make a decision then. We will of course follow Scottish Government regulations and advice applicable at the time.
In the meantime, we’re planning to hold some interesting and fun online gardening-related competitions, with modest entry fees and prizes, safely and in compliance with the current restrictions. These will start in a week or so, so keep an eye on our Facebook page (search for Black Isle Horticultural Society). There’s a wildflower quiz there now – no prizes or fee, but feel free to post how many you’ve got and we’ll post the full set of correct answers shortly.
- 26/05/2020 Covid-19 - Local information
- 24/05/2020 Highland Council Garden Aid service to start
- 22/05/2020 BIHS Lockdown Gardening competitions
- 18/05/2020 Black Isle Horticultural Society update
- 16/05/2020 Greenpeace celebrates climate change successes
- 04/05/2020 Transition Town Forres is Growing Strong
- 02/05/2020 Good response to our 'Virtual Open Gardens' project - and now Scarecrows
- 01/05/2020 Gardeners! - bedding plants at Frank Nicol's, Dingwall
- 26/04/2020 Nairn community group supports individual projects as group events cancelled
- 24/04/2020 Veg consumption DOWN following 5-a-day campaign