Fast fashion abuses close to home but not really news
22 July 2020
In the light of our showing of the film 'The True Cost' last November and the recent publicity surrounding employment abuses in garment sweatshops in Leicester, it seems appropriate to draw attention to an article pointing out that these and similar abuses closer to home than we normally imagine have been known about and reported on for years, and noting the pressure put on suppliers by big clothing brands to cut prices - with all the consequences for employment conditions which that implies - or go out of business.
In the London Review of Books blog of 20 July 2020, Olivia Windham Stewart writes
The appalling state of working conditions in the Leicester garment industry has been known for at least a decade. Channel 4’s Dispatches broadcast an investigation in 2010 that revealed all the trademarks of endemic exploitation: pay at half the minimum wage; dangerous and unsanitary conditions; harassment and abuse. In 2015, the Ethical Trading Initiative commissioned research that found significant under or non-payment of wages; excessive working hours; a captive, vulnerable and exploited workforce; absence of contracts; egregious health and safety violations.
Dispatches aired a follow-up documentary in 2017, with many of the same findings. There was nuanced, forensic analysis in the Financial Times in 2018. The Joint Committee on Human Rights conducted an investigation in 2017 and ensured it received attention during the Environmental Audit Committee hearings in 2019. The EAC published some straightforward recommendations. The government did nothing.
- 28/07/2021 Covid-19 - Local and national information
- 26/07/2021 Black Isle Health and Nature Summer Festival 31 July / 1 August
- 24/07/2021 Black Isle Photographic Competition closes on Saturday 31 July
- 18/07/2021 Change of venue for BIHS Summer Show Saturday 14 August
- 08/07/2021 JOB OPPORTUNITY - Muir of Ord Development Trust Community Development Manager
- 07/07/2021 Plastic Free July
- 06/07/2021 Scottish Government 'Let's do Net Zero' campaign
- 04/07/2021 Scotland's greenhouse gas emissions target missed again
- 28/06/2021 New newsletters from TBI and Skye Climate Action
- 24/06/2021 Ferintosh Community Bus starts Monday 28 June