Scottish Government Energy Strategy 2017
The Scottisn Government published a new document based on the 2017 Energy Strategy
Scotland's electricity and gas networks: vision to 2030
Anne Thomas, convenor of TBI's Energy Group, has drawn attention to a press release from Friends of the Earth Scotland welcoming the launch last week of the Scottish Government's Energy Strategy to 2050 by Energy Minister Paul Wheelhouse.
Friends of the Earth Scotland Director Dr Richard Dixon said
"This Energy Strategy is very welcome, with a strong ambition of transforming electricity, heating and transport. With 50% of all energy to come from renewables by 2030 and 100% of our electricity well before then this plan sets us firmly on course to becoming one of the leading low-carbon nations in the world. We will need to do even more if we are to make our fair contribution to halting climate change."
In his foreword to the Strategy document Paul Wheelhouse writes
"The choices we make about energy are among the most important decisions we face. The supply of safe, reliable energy underpins the continued growth of the Scottish economy and delivery of key services. Our energy industry provides high quality jobs and a vibrant climate for innovation. Affordable energy provision is a prerequisite for healthy, fulfilling living and productive, competitive business."
You can read the full text of the Energy Strategy document here.
Friends of the Earth Scotland also draw attention to a report 'Energy of Scotland', mapping out the path to 50% renewable energy for electricity, heating and transport by 2030. The report was published last year and jointly commissioned by FoE Scotland, RSPB Scotland and WWF Scotland.
You can read the full 'Energy of Scotland' report, and a consultants' analysis of Scotland's energy needs on which it was based, here.
- Friday 5 March
- 09:30 Transition summit - What is breaking through as the food system breaks down?
- Saturday 6 March
- 11:00 Climate Change Garden - The Fairtrade Foundation
- 09:30 Transition summit - Does environmental sustainability have a problem with social justice?
- Monday 8 March
- 16:00 A New vision for Land Use in Scotland - Scottish Ecological design Association
- Tuesday 9 March
- 19:30 'Economics for Activists' 5 - Nancy Folbre
- 09:30 Transition summit - What if... Neighbourhood Democracy!
- Wednesday 10 March
- 19:00 Transition Summit - Rob Hopkins - Cultivating everyday imagination
- Thursday 11 March
- 19:30 TBI Admin (Directors) meeting, 7.30 online
Events to add to calendar? Contact Us.
Add Your Business
Do you run a sustainable business on or near the Black Isle? Add it to the TBI business directory